Orchids are tropical flowers that are available in a large number of colors and varieties of their petal arrangements. Orchids are considered to be one of the most beautiful species of flowers and are rather expensive to buy. These
orchids are beautiful blossoms in vibrant colors that are a favorite with a large number of people.
You can also grow them in pots at your home. Let us take a look at some of the care tips that must be followed for a healthy blossom of exquisite orchids.
Tips for Healthy Orchids
Orchids just like other types of flowers require a certain type of care and looking after so that they can blossom best. Let's take a look at them.
- Water them carefully. Most people feel that since these flowers are tropical plants they need to be watered on a regular basis and in a heavy way. However, this is a myth. Orchids must not be watered very often. You should water
it once every 5 or 12 days, depending on the nature of the orchid.
- You must be careful at the time of fertilizing the orchids. Remember that fertilizers that are meant for other plants and flowers must not be used for orchids. Special fertilizers for orchids are to be used. This is the only way
through which you can have healthy orchid plants. Follow the directions given on the packets of the fertilizers.
- Sunlight is very important for the growth o the orchid plants. However the orchid plant should not be exposed to too much sunlight, this could result in burns of the plant. The best place to place an orchid plant is beside the
window. However, draw a curtain during very sunny afternoons.
- The color of the leaves of the orchids can tell you about their health. Orchid plants in perfect health will have light green color leaves. Dark green leaves will mean that the plant is not getting sufficient sunlight. Additionally,
if there is a hint of red it means that the plant is over-exposed to sunlight.
- If you see that the plant has stopped flowering then you must cut the stems that are not blooming. Soon the plant will send off healthy plants that will give blossoming flowers. You must take good care of the plant at this stage.
Provide good quality and balanced amount of water and sunlight and fertilizers for best effects.
- There are different types of orchids. You must know about them and the best care that is required for them like the amount of water, amount of sunlight and the attire of fertilizers required. Each orchid variation is different
and requires different care.
- You must put the plant in well-drained soil. Re-potting the plant is also very important for its health. This re-potting can be done within a span of two years. However, this is a pan that will differ for different types of orchids.
You must also look out for pest and diseases. Often the health of the orchid plant can be ascertained from the condition of the leaves of the plant and also its intensity of flowering.
Orchids are sensitive and exquisite plants. They must be taken care of so that they can give you beautiful blooms for a longer period.