When is Earth Hour Day Celebrated?
- Author: Tanya Sood Published: 27th February, 2020
A remarkable initiative taken by World Wide Fund for Nature is the Earth Hour. It is a worldwide movement which encourages the people to turn off all their electrical appliances & lights. Every last Saturday of March, from 8:30 to 9:30 pm, the world chooses to participate. World Earth Hour Day of 2020 falls on 28th March.
Why is Earth Hour Day Celebrated?
Earth Hour Day is celebrated to show one’s commitment to the planet. It is all about spreading awareness about environmental changes. It shows that you support in the reduction of carbon footprint which in turn will help to preserve the natural heritage of the planet.
Earth hour is a very important event as it helps in raising awareness about important environmental issues. The earth has been going through environmental issues like global warming, climate change, deforestation, landfills, air, water and soil pollution, and much more. By just turning off lights for an hour once a year, one can make a great difference in the reduction of carbon footprints, reduction of energy consumption & global warming.
Facts About Earth Hour
- The origin of Earth hour dates back to 2007, in Sydney, Australia as a Lights Out event. It was done to raise awareness against climate change.
- After the successful lights out event in Sydney, San Francisco ran its own lights out event in October 2007. When the event was successful, the organizers decided to plan it for March 2008.
- In 2008, Earth hour happened internationally, which was marked as the first anniversary of the event. Around 35 countries participated in the event.
- In 2009, the Earth Hour had a theme- Vote Earth, which had a message “the world’s first globe.” Around 88 Countries participated.
- In 2011, the tagline of the campaign was “Beyond the Hour,” which encouraged people to take care of the environment beyond the Earth Hour.
- The Earth Hour of 2019 had a message- Save Energy, Save Earth - Energy saving, Earth protection. The campaign had an ambassador- Miss Earth 2018 Nguyễn Phương Khánh from Vietnam. 188 countries & territories participated in 2018.
Earth Hour 2020 focuses on climate action and sustainable development. You can add your voice on the official website of Earth hour and take a pledge. Also, do not forget to turn off your lights from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm on 28th March 2020.