Did you Know April Birthstone can Work Wonders for you?
- Author: Anushka Published: 09th April, 2022
Diamonds are not only a girl’s best friend but also April baby’s best friend. Why so? It's their birthstone. Yes! People born in the month of April are blessed with the most valuable gemstone ever known to mankind. Diamond is the most beloved gemstone that is highly treasured and preferred when displaying feelings of love and commitment. Apart from being a symbol of love, this most prized and precious stone represents courage, strength, elegance and perseverance. Keep reading to know more about this birthstone.
Diamond: Meaning & History
Diamond is the stone whose roots in history run deep. The name is derived from the Greek word ‘Adamas’ which translates to unconquerable, invincible, indestructible and untamed. In ancient times, the Greek soldiers wore the stone as a means to strengthen their muscles and welcome invincibility.
It is believed that the oldest diamond was formed over 3 billion years ago, under high pressure and high temperature deep within the Earth after a volcanic eruption. According to some, the earliest diamonds originated during the 4th century BC in India. A large volume was transported along with the network of trade routes called Silk Road connecting India and China. Soon, by the 14th century, the diamonds made their way to Western Europe from India and became a symbol of high social status.
In the early 1700s, India’s diamond supplies came down significantly and Brazil emerged as a valuable source and reigned over the diamond market for more than 150 years. By the late 1800s, South Africa began large-scale diamond mining. Today, countries like Russia, Canada and Australia play a significant role in today’s supply chain of Diamonds.
Diamond’s Symbolism & Folklore
- Diamond is called Vajra in Sanskrit, which means lightning. According to Hindu mythology, Vajra was the weapon of Lord Indra.
- It is believed that a diamond could ward off the evil eye that was said to cause sickness or worse, death.
- It was also believed to have healing powers; an antidote against poison and protection against plague.
- Diamond is also the gem that is gifted to those celebrating 60th and 75th wedding anniversaries.