How Pet Friendly are Fiddle Leaf Figs?
- Author: Anushka Published: 23rd March, 2022
The Fiddle Leaf Fig, also known as the Ficus lyrata, beautifies the covers and pictures of many design publications, bringing elegance, height and drama to the place with its huge, elegant leaves. Though the Fiddle Leaf Fig is a stunning and vibrant houseplant, it possesses a concern for pet parents. The plant is not pet-friendly and is toxic when ingested. Read on to know more about fiddle leaf figs and their toxicity to pets.
Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Toxic?
Fiddle Leaf Figs contain a white milky sap in their leaves, trunks and stems. This sap contains needle-like crystals of calcium oxalate that are incredibly sharp and can cause sickness and irritation when ingested.
Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Pet Friendly?
The sap is mildly toxic to all pets. It won’t cause any long-term ailment but can have negative impacts on your furry babies. In case your pet swallows the plant or its part, it will reflect symptoms of oral irritation, vomiting, drooling, diarrhoea and swelling, among others. Altogether, the plant can cause much discomfort to your four-legged companions.
In case your pet swallows a part of fiddle leaf fig, you will find irritation all around their mouth and them, pawing at their faces or licking around their mouths, expressing discomfort. The sap can also cause irritation on the area of the skin it gets touched at. In any case, take them to the vet immediately.
If you are touching your fiddle leaf fig, wear gloves and wash your hands immediately afterwards. You can even keep your pets away from the plant to some extent by putting citrus around the pot.
Are All Pets Vulnerable to Fiddle Leaf Fig Poisoning?
Yes. All pets - including dogs, cats, rabbits and even birds - are vulnerable to the poisoning of fiddle leaf fig. Since it’s a common trait of pets to move around freely and touch the stuff, it only makes sense to take precautions in keeping the fiddle leaf fig out of their reach instead of vice-versa.