Learn More About Marigold- The October Flower
- Author: Apeksha Rawat Published: 7th October, 2019
The bright and vibrant marigold is the birth month flower of October, which is known for its beauty and multiple medicinal benefits. It is a Mediterranean native plant that comes in a wide range of colors including red, yellow, gold, and orange. Just like the marigold flower, people born in October are considered peace-loving, charismatic, gentle, and friendly. They are very honest and believe in justice and harmony. The October born people are very calm, emotionally intelligent, and possess creative minds. If you ever have a problem, an October born will always solve it for you.
Marigold is known to have derived its name from ‘Mary’s Gold’ as in old times, people used to place flowers instead of coins on Mary’s altar as an offering. It is also associated with the sun, being yellow and gold in color. The marigold flowers face the sun as they rise in the east and follow it throughout the day until it sets in the west. There are two types of Marigold – tagetes and calendula. The major difference between the two is- calendula marigolds can be eaten while most tagetes marigolds are toxic. Both types of marigolds are easy to grow, which makes them a popular choice for gardeners.
History of Marigolds
The history of Marigolds begins with the Aztecs in Mexico, where these flowering plants were used as herbal medicine and in religious ceremonies. Later, the plant was taken to Spain, where the seeds were traded through Europe. It became popular in the churches in Spain and the name evolved to Marigold. By the early 1900s, the importance of marigold flower increased when it became a part of the Burpee seed catalog after the company funded research on the plant and introduced new varieties. Today, the marigold flower is available in a variety of heavily scented and odor-free species.
Read further to know more about the benefits and uses of marigolds for health.
Uses of Marigolds:
- The ointment made with marigold flowers can be used to soothe sunburns, acne, bites, and ulcers, in addition to healing dry skin and wounds.
- Calendula drops are also used to cure the symptoms of fever, cough, and sore throat.
- Tea made with marigold flowers lower symptoms caused by inflammatory bowel diseases. It is also beneficial for treating gas-related problems, acid reflux, and reducing menstrual cramps.
- The marigold extract helps treat bacterial ear infections, lowers inner-ear swelling, inflammation, and decreases pain.
- Due to their volatile oils, antioxidant content, and pungent odor, marigold flowers can be used to repel mosquitoes, pests, and other insects.
- A semisolid solution made with marigold is used to treat fungal infections of the mouth, eyes, skin, and genitals.
- Calendula is a natural hepatoprotective and spasmogenic herb that lowers inflammation and control oxidative damage from free radicals.
- Calendula extract is capable of treating conjunctivitis and other inflammatory conditions.
Interesting Facts about Marigolds:
Here are some interesting facts related to Marigolds. Read further to know more:
- Marigold has an erect stem that can reach 6 to 48 inches in height depending upon the type of species.
- Most types of marigold have a spicy aroma.
- The name calendula originated from the Latin term ‘calendae’, which means ‘little calendar’, ‘little clock’ or ‘little weather-glass.’
- Marigold is used in the diet of chickens that lead to the formation of lutein into the eggs that result in the brightly colored yolk.
- One medieval author named Macer described marigold in his book on herbs and described that these flowers can improve eyesight and draw evil forces away
Famous Birthdays in October
Mahatma Gandhi (2nd October) - Father of the Nation, India.
John Lennon (9th October) - He was an English singer, songwriter, and peace activist.
Amitabh Bachchan (11th October) - He is a famous Indian film actor, film producer, TV host, playback singer, and former politician.
Bill Gates (28th October) – He is the principal founder of Microsoft Corporation.
Kate Winslet (5th October) – A popular English actress who has won many film awards, including Academy, Emmy, and Grammy Awards.