Did You Know This About Black Forest Cakes?
- Author: Apeksha Rawat Published: 29th July, 2019
Black forest cake is the perfect amalgamation of chocolate, whipped cream frosting and cherry liqueur garnished with fresh cherries. It looks decadent and tastes heavenly and that is all one needs for any sweet and joyous celebration. Every bite of the cake unleashes the layers of chocolaty goodness that leaves people asking for more.
History of Black Forest Cakes
There are several stories about the origin of this cake. The Black Forest cake made its first official appearance during the 1930s and gained much popularity after World War II. However, there are a few more famous stories that trace the origin of the Black Forest cake:
- According to the town archivist of Tingen, a pastry chef named Erwin Hildenbrand invented this cake and named it Black Forest because he used to work in the said place previously.
- The website of the Café Schafer claims that Josef Keller, a pastry chef passed down a recipe book to his apprentice-turned-co-worker, August Schaefer, where a recipe for a Black Forest Cherry cake was found. His inheritor, Claus Schaefer is the current head chef of the café.
- Some sources claim that the name of the Black Forest cake is inspired by the traditional costume of the women of the Black Forest region, who used to wear a hat with big, red pom-poms on top called Bollenhut.
- Another origin story claims that the cake was created by the people who used to live near the Black Forest in Germany.
Black Forest cake is quite popular in Germany, which is also considered a traditional dessert in Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. In these countries, the Black Forest Cake is prepared with a few variations. However, it is very common to use dark wild cherries in the preparation of this cake. One distinguishing feature is the use of Kirsch, which is an alcoholic ingredient and often replaced by rum in neighboring Austria, Swiss and Südtirol regions. Read further to know more about the interesting facts of Black Forest cake.
Interesting Facts about the Black Forest Cake
- The Black Forest cake originated from Germany where it was initially called Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, which means Black Forest Cherry Torte or Gateau in the German language.
- The world’s largest Black Forest cake was made by K&D Bakery on 16th July 2006 that weighed about 3000 kgs.
- The cake originally became famous in Germany and in no time it became the talk of the town in entire Europe. Presently, it is the most wanted flavor of cake all over the world.
- The original published written record of Black Forest cake was in the year 1934 by John Martin Erich Weber, who was a German confectioner. He mentioned it in his book ‘250 Konditorei-Spezialitäten und wie sie entstehen’, translated in English as ‘250 pastry specialties and how they originate’.
- Every year, March 28 is celebrated as National Black Forest cake day. The origin of this day is not known but it is basically celebrated to promote the rich history and consumption of this delicious cake.
Explore the Different Forms of Black Forest Cakes
Photo Black Forest Cake- A yummy form of black forest cake on which one can get printed the picture of the birthday person.
Black Forest Fondant Cake- It is a rich, dark black forest cake covered up with the sweet and smooth layer of fondant.
Black Forest Cheesecake- A creamy, dark chocolate cheesecake topped with pie filling, whipped cream and chocolate curls.
Eggless Black Forest Cake- A delicious, rich and classic black forest cake made with several layers of chocolate sponge without the usage of eggs.
Black Forest Cupcakes- The soft, light and moist chocolate cupcakes with a cherry filling that are topped with whipped cream.