World Smile Day – the name itself brings a nice curve on your lips! Yes, there is a day when the world celebrates smile or laughter. A smile is the best human expression and there is hardly anyone in this world who looks odd while smiling. World Smile Day falls on the first Friday in the month of October. So, this year it is on 5th October. It was the year 1999 when World Smile Day was first celebrated. This idea of celebration first erupted in the mind of Harvey Ball. He was a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts and created the Smiley face way back in 1963.
Harvey Ball died in 2001 and “Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation” was founded in his name and memory. The slogan of this foundation is “improving this world, one smile at a time.” This foundation officially sponsors Word Smile Day celebration every year. The prime objective of this foundation is to make people across the world aware of World Smile Day through all channels of communication and help people to smile and encourage acts of kindness & benevolence. A popular fact is that it takes 37 muscles to frown while only 22 muscles to smile. So Smiling is the new way to conserve some energy! This World Smile Day learn some more interesting and fun facts about smile or laughter and pledge to make this world a better place.
- Do you know that smile is contagious? Scientific studies have proved this fact that smile is infectious. In Sweden, a study was conducted among some people who were frowning. When they looked at people who had a smiling face, their frowning expression also changed into a smiling one.
- Smiling improves the immune system. The human body feels much more relaxed while smiling and that contributes to a good health and immune system.
- A Smile is also a solution to a stressed mind and body. While smiling, the human body releases endorphin and this works as a mood changer. So, when you are alone at home and your mood is simply not ok, just smile a bit to change your day!
- A smile is the universal sign of happiness. In all countries and cultures across the world, smiling is the sign of happiness, joy, and acceptance.
- One needs 5 to 53 facial muscles to smile in every form.
- In total, there are 19 different types of smiles. These types are put into two categories – social and personal one. In a social type of smile, there is use of fewer muscles. In case of felt or personal smile, people use more muscles on both sides of the face.
- A smile is the most easily recognized facial expression. One can identify a smile from a distance of 300 feet.
- Do you know that a smile is able to make you more attractive than expensive makeup? A research by Orbit Complete reveals that 69% of people find women more attractive and gorgeous when they wear a smile instead of makeup.
- Chimpanzees have the ability to laugh and smile like the humans. Rats laugh when tickled.
- If you smile at people, chances are that around 50% of them would smile back at you.
- 7% people agree that smiling is an important asset of the personality. 63% of women feel that they look best in pictures where their teeth are showing. 23% people believe that smiling without showing their teeth makes them look their best.
- You know you can always tell the difference between a real smile and a fake smile!
Hope you loved these wonderful facts about smile and laughter. Smile and laughter are undoubtedly the symphonies of life. We all have lovely memories in our pockets about those times we laughed hard and those memories still bring a smile on our faces. We also have that friend in our groups whose laughter is the weirdest ones and we also have a friend or relative in our circle who is always grumpy and cranky. This World Smile Day, you can urge them to smile some more by sharing these fun facts about smiling. As a brand, we deliver a smile over miles – anytime and anywhere through our amazing gifts. Thus, add some of our lovely gifts to spice up the laughter session on 5th October!
You Might Also Like: