Summers are here in full swing and making us sweat a lot. When the temperature is soaring and roaring with 48 degrees Celsius, you are actually left with less options to eat. The temperature hardly allows you to gorge on spicy foods that we Indians generally love. But the best thing about summers is the variety of fruits that are offered. Mango is called the king of fruits and we are lucky that we have the largest variety of mangoes in our country because of our Tropical Monsoon climatic type. Not only the aam-aadmiâ€™s (Common People) love aam (Maango) thereâ€™s Katrina Kaif also promoting a certain mango juice brand in full-fledged way.
For me summer is synonymous to mangoes and winters to oranges. Including fruits in cake baking is an age old process and today I would love to share an amazing summer cake recipe named Mango Cake. For those people who donâ€™t have microwave, you can use pressure cooker to get the desired cake.
Please follow the following:
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Oil (Any flavorless refined oil) – 1/4 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Lemon Juice – 1 Table Spoon
Mango syrup – 1 Table Spoon (or mango puree – 1/2 cup)
All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 1/4 cup
Baking Soda – 1/4 Table Spoon
Baking Powder – 1 Table Spoon
Salt – 1/8 Table Spoon
How to Prepare:
- Grease any vessel or baking pan that fits inside your cooker and keep it ready. You can use non-stick, aluminum or stainless steel vessel.
- Remove the rubber casket and whistle from the pressure cooker. Put about 1 cup of salt (or sand or baking soda) at the bottom of the pressure cooker. This is to create an oven like environment and also to avoid the pressure cooker from turning black. You can also use any heavy bottomed pan instead of a pressure cooker.
- Pre-heat the pressure cooker with salt for about 5 minutes before placing the cake batter in. We don’t have to add any water at all.
How to Bake:
- Take the sugar, oil and milk in a large mixing bowl. Keep whisking till the sugar melts.
- Add some mango syrup and mix it.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together into the wet ingredients.
- Finally add the lemon juice and mix together.
- Pour the batter into the greased prepared vessel.
- Open the lid of the preheated cooker and place a separator or another vessel at the bottom.
- Place the vessel filled with cake batter on top. Do this carefully using tongs as the cooker will be very hot.
- Close the lid and cook on medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to medium low and cook for the next 30 minutes. If you continue on high heat, the cooker will turn black.
- Cook till an inserted toothpick comes out clean. This may take anywhere between 30-45 minutes.
- Switch off and let the cake rest in the cooker for 5 minutes before taking it out. After removing the pan out, again let it rest for about 10 minutes before you remove the cake and slice it.
Call up friends now and have a great summer party with this simple yet delicious cake.