Author: Rima Ghosh
Heart is the place from where love is said to originate and this shape is quite famous to express love during Valentine’s Day. Most of the products are designed in this shape as that is believed to enhance love and romance in a couple’s life. If that is true, a heart shaped plant or flower can also play the cupid here – right?
Love may not grow on trees but it does grow in heart and with these heart-shaped plants or flowers, one can really find something different as a gift. Someone has taken up the courage to make our country a cleaner one and I am the one promoting the heart-shaped plants and flowers more and more on this Valentine’s Day. Result? My home would breathe a better air and my love would be nurtured daily in my garden.
Hoya Kerrii or SweetHeart Plant:
Many famous names are given to this plant like “sweetheart plant” or “Valentine Hoya”. Hoya is a name of species native to South East Asia and due to the heart shape of this plant, it is often associated with the Valentine’s Day. The sturdy plant can remain hale and hearty all the yearlong only with a watering session of one month. What a fabulous gift for valentine! This plant resonates with the evergreen love of your heart.
Care tips for Hoya Kerrii
1. The Valentine Hoya plant absorbs low light but does not want complete shade.
2. It requires the room temperature in the range of 60 to 80 degree Fahrenheit or in the range of 15 to 26 degree Celsius.
3. The plant requires just two watering sessions per month with minimum fertilizers. However, you need to avoid the saturated or boggy soil as it can lead to rot which can be prevented only with the presence of proper drainage facility in the pot.
4. The plant requires just two watering sessions per month with minimum fertilizers. However, you need to avoid the saturated or boggy soil as it can lead to rot which can be prevented only with the presence of proper drainage facility in the pot.
Heart shaped lucky bamboo plant:
As per ancient studies of Chinese Astrology, placing lucky bamboo in home restores health and prosperity. A person can come across any kind of impediment by placing a lucky bamboo plant in home. There is something called heart-shaped lucky bamboo plant and they are gifted on Valentine’s Day to express heartfelt love. This heart shaped lucky bamboo plant is a part of the Dracaena family of plants and is considered as a symbol of luck and success in the Asian tradition. This extraordinary plant is created methodically by turning a stack of
This heart shaped lucky bamboo plant is a part of the Dracaena family of plants and is considered as a symbol of luck and success in the Asian tradition. This extraordinary plant is created methodically by turning a stack of lucky bamboo plant towards the light during its initial stages of growth. The entire process is a lengthy one and a single curve can take up to one year.
Care tips for Bamboo Plant
1. This extraordinary plant can be easily grown without requiring huge maintenance. You need it keep the plant away from the direct sunlight or else the stalk can turn yellow. In order to maintain the stability of your bamboo stalks, you can take the help of river rocks and pebbles. It is also advised to replace the water of this heart shaped lucky bamboo plant once a week. Further, avoid the presence of stagnant water in the pot in order to stop
2. In order to maintain the stability of your bamboo stalks, you can take the help of river rocks and pebbles.
3. It is also advised to replace the water of this heart shaped lucky bamboo plant once a week. Further, avoid the presence of stagnant water in the pot in order to stop
Gift this amazing plant to your Valentine to keep your love life blossoming forever. You can imagine this perfect trophy of love in the drawing room shelf for your wife or girlfriend. She would definitely be more than happy to receive such a unique gift on this Valentine’s Day
Anthurium: plate of heart
One of the most striking flowers of the flora world is Anthurium which carries a red heart shaped leaf and a green colored flower. For its look some also call it a tail flower. A universal sign of abundance, happiness, and hospitality is signified with this flower type.
The flower of this Anthurium plant looks rough on the spadix when compared to the smooth spadix and comes in the colors of red and shades of red. Lovers can easily get various interesting floral arrangements of this flower and on the eve of Valentine, this could be a nice treat for your darling.
Care tips for Anthurium Plant
1. This wonderful plant can easily grow on a wide range of soil types that has good water retention, high organic matter and superb drainage ability. It requires immediate watering after planting it in a pot.
2. The plant should not be planted deeper than 5cm in order to avoid rotting of stems and roots.
3. It requires optimum sunlight but avoid placing the plant in direct sunlight. You need to fertilize the plant after every other month and should check overwatering.
This is a tropical plant, and the interesting hue of green and pink or red makes it a perfect organic gift this Valentine’s Day. Commonly, this one is also known to be elephant’s ear. The leaves of the Caladium comes in various shapes such as hearts, arrows or lances with multiple color combinations of red, pink, rose, white, chartreuse and green. Lavender color is also available and with some variety, I am sure there remains a plenty of choice in front of us to prove how organic is our love towards our lovers!
Care Tips for Caladium Plant
1. Being a native of South America, this wonderful plant requires warm climate with well-drained soil that needs to be high in terms of organic matter.
2. These plants require filtered sunlight and shade, thereby eliminating the need for direct sunlight.
3. It needs regular watering to keep the soil moist for a longer time.
4. You can also add mulch or pine straw that can help in better water retention for ideal plant growth.
The scientific name is Brunnera macrophylla and carries small pale blue flowers with heart shaped leaves. The Brunnera plants consists of the leaves that are glossy green in color or come in variegated streaks of gray, silver or white. What a better way of proposing your love than a heart shaped leaf and cute flowers? So, find this wonderful plant at your local nursery or you can even order them online.
Care tips for Siberian bugloss
1. Siberian Bugloss or Brunnera Macrophylla is originally a native plant of Eastern Europe. It flourishes well in moderate fertile, well drained and humus rich soil.
2. It is important to keep the plant in partial to full shade as its variegated leaves are sensitive to sunlight and may burn up also.
3. This amazing plant requires adequate watering to maintain the necessary soil moisture and offers good drainage ability. However, the plant is not suited for dry as well as soggy soil.
Another very interesting plant with heart-shaped leaves and fragrant flower is Epimedium, commonly known as bishop’s hat, barrenwort, or fairy wings. The color of the spider like flowers having four petals is pale yellow or red. These plants belong to the category of deciduous or evergreen hardy perennials.
Care tips for Epimedium Plant
1. Although, the plant is known to emerge from the China, it is also found in other regions of Asia and Mediterranean. They grow best in places such as woodland, scrubs and shady rocky places. The plant needs a well- drained soil for its ideal growth, although it can also grow in dry conditions with a relatively slow pace. You need to place the plant in partial to full shade and it grows well in the period of spring to early summer.
2. The plant needs a well- drained soil for its ideal growth, although it can also grow in dry conditions with a relatively slow pace.
3. You need to place the plant in partial to full shade and it grows well in the period of spring to early summer.
Morning glory and Moonflower:
This one belongs to Ipomoea family of floral world. The shining white flowers grow with a backdrop of green heart shaped leaves and the most interesting fact of this plant is that one flower gives two different looks.
The flower that sustains only in daylight, called morning glory has proper curls and curves of petals but as the evening nears, the moonflowers unfurls up gives a more rounder shape. Thus the name moonflowers is associated with it. I think that this flower is just like our regular love for our girlfriends or wives. We all are two different people in our daily routine. We go to work all fresh and geared up and in the evening when we return our girlfriends or wives makes us feel relaxed with their fragrance. Keeping it in balcony itself would make a difference not only in Valentine’s Day but also other days.
Care tips for Morning glory Plant
1. Although, this amazing plant grows well in sub-tropical areas but it can also be grown in cold winters.They do not require much garden space as they belong to the climber family.
2. The plant grows well in fertile soil but can easily adapt in other soil types also.
3. The ideal time of planting this moonflower plant is when the outdoor temperatures are in the range of 60 to 70 degree Fahrenheit. It is important to water the plant depending on its growth rate.
4. The plant requires high levels of phosphorus as fertilizer for its proper growth but avoid the excess of nitrogenous fertilizers as it can affect the blooming process.
On the eve of Valentine’s Day, when most of the lovers are anxious about getting dumped by their lovers or testing the depth of love of their lovers as per the gifts that are showered, a special presentation on TV pushed me to think “Is my organic?” Out of all love dose gifts that does the round during Valentines, how many have you thought to present something organic or green to your lover? In this time of growing after-effects of globalization, green is definitely the new red.
We give Valentine gifts to people we love and care and thus it is not mandatory that red has to be the major color. The point is love and care and for my love this year I am thinking something organic and eco-friendly. It is pleasure for me to research and then share a list of those plants or flowers with you all so that you all can proudly say that, “Yes, my love is organic”. May not be as organic as Baba Ramdev because these plants are green in color and obviously don’t wear wooden chappals! But yes, a heart shaped plant or flower is a proof enough of your organic or herbal love.
If you are looking to buy and deliver plants this Valentines day you can look for more options here